Around this time of the year I start to feel like fall should be just around the bend. Well, apparently there are no bends to speak of in San Diego. Today, it is supposed to be 90 degrees and that is too much for this Northwest-y.
Yes I did only spend 4 years in Seattle but every time I am back up in the Northwest I feel so at home. Seattle, Portland, Lafayette, Eugene, McKenzie Bridge and anywhere in between (except of course Roseburg - scary) make me feel complete. Is it because of the people who live in those places, the memories I have from college or simply the fact that I am feeling a little nostalgic on my 33rd birthday? Who knows, but let me count the ways.
1. Fall. The Northwest puts on a damn good show.
2. Starbucks. I will admit it, I love the 'Bucks. Today in fact the gave me a free birthday drink AND they had all of their pumpkin baked goods. Three of my favorite words PUMPKIN BAKED GOODS. Yes, I did splurge and have pumpkin bread this morning.
3. Divine Paints. Mentioned this in my last post. The best paint ever, of course it is from Portland.
4. Rain. We in San Diego have no concept of rain. All I want is a huge rain storm complete with the wind blowing drops against my window, a big bowl of chili and some corn bread.
5. Sweaters and fleece. So we might have an REI in Encinitas but you just can't quite make use of their clothing like you can in the Northwest.
So how do I make myself feel a little better about not being in the Northwest ...
Answer #1. I still go to the Nates Butt Farm, oh I mean Bates Nut Farm to get pumpkins with the hus. This year we will have someone else in tow. I will have to make my own "fall showing" this year.
Answer #2. I will frequent Starbucks and eat all of the PUMPKIN BAKED GOODS I can!
Answer #3. Of course the nursery has to pay homage to the Northwest. Spray and Cocoa it is!
Answer #4. This is a tricky one. I will have to put on my Rain relaxation music, make chili while sweating in the kitchen and turn the oven on along with the AC while I baked corn bread.
Answer #5. Dammit I will wear those sweaters and fleece and look damn good doing it ... all while sweating!